From Redbrook near Monmouth to Penallt We parked in a large car park, but to get to the Boat Inn we had to cross the river Wye on an iron footbridge next to the old viaduct. We followed a flat path by the river, then up a steep waymarked path which eventually came out near Penallt old church. We took the small road back down the hill past a large stone labelled the coffin stone.
An interesting alternative local name for the stone is 'The Coffin Stone', and local tradition states that funeral processions on the way to Penallt Old Church used to pause at the spot and rest the coffin on the stone. An additional roadside 'coffin stone' can be found a little further north on the same road. Interestingly Penallt Church formerly acted as a chapel-of-ease to St Nicholas in Trellech until Penallt became a separate parish in 1887.
Since we had a six-year-old and a five-year-old walking with us and one 17 month-old on mum's or dad's back, progress was fairly slow, and we cut the 5 km walk even shorter in order to get back to the holiday house for lunch.